Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Florence Day One!

We left for the train nice and early, about 7:45 am. Yikes it was no good! I don’t think I have mentioned this but I got a weird bug bite last night at the restaurant on the tops of both of my feet and they are crazy swollen and have a rash that goes up my legs. It is super painful and really ugly to look at it. Well Due to this minor detail I decided to take a Benadryl….bad Idea. Really bad idea. I remember getting to the train station and felling funny. Like my face was itchy and I was SUPER tired. Apparently while we were waiting for our train to arrive I decided it would be a great Idea to lay on the floor of the train station and sleep/twitch and say incoherent things to my travelin buddies. Great yes? No…pretty much I was in a drunken stupor. It was bad. So bad in fact that my professor had to practically carry my limp noodle body to the train car and make sure I got in my seat. I have no recollection of the next two hours….apparently it was quite interesting. Next thing I know I wake up and we are getting off the train in Florence. We have arrived! Off to our hotel, which meant trucking it across town luggage and all. So we arrive and the hotel has booked us at another hotel because that’s the way they do it in Italy. So we truck back across town. Havbe a little break and then go to meet our tour guide. Tanya, took us all over town showing us the main sights like the piazza de Republica, the brancacci chapels, the doumo and baptistery locations, the stories behind it all and my very favorite thing was the mossacio chapel with the casting out of Adam and Eve. It was surreal to see this work of art I have been studying since I was in High school. It was a pleasant surprise I didn’t expect to encounter. The chapel itself was saved and did not burn down after the rest of the church did….its a little miracle in itself. There were so many great details and you could feel the anguish they felt as the walked out of the garden. I felt in awe.

We then continued to walk to wither side of the river which definitely included the Ponte Vecchio. It was really cool. Pretty much my most favorite bridge ever because the entire thing is one hundred percent lined with beautiful jewelry shops…high end beautiful hand made jewelry. GORGEOUS!

Next on the list…Gelato! We had Gelato for dinner….from Grom. The best gelato in all of Florence. It was Heaven…they got the snail award because the man who owns it only makes flavors of Gelato that he grows in his own garden. Everything is fresh and HEAVENLY! I was completely out of it all day because of the fact that I was still working off the drugs…I will never do that again. Anyway moral of the story…don’t get sickish because you get real tired. Off to bed for me….Tomorrow is thankfully another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment