Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Paris Day Two

This morning we got up super early so that we could be ready in time to run down to the Champs Elysses to watch the Bastille day Parade. Bastille Day is like our Independence day…French Version. With that we also had to take a lot of warning as the tension between the us and France is always a subtle underlying fear……add booze and a day dedicated to the glory of France and you can imagine that sometimes its fun to hate on obnoxious Americans. So it’s a good thing we are pretty. Also for some reason with my hair being red, people hear seem to think I am French. I am not sure why but they do. I have had multiple people in Italy and France ask me if I was French. Weird. I take it as a compliment because Belle on Beauty and the Beast is French and I Love her! Anyway, so Michelle and I get up early and turns out like no one else is ready. Which makes us late which puts us on the Champs Elysses too late to get a spot to see and Therefore we wandered around for an hour and half trying to see and being slammed against people with no under arm hygiene….mmmmmm healthy! Well once we gave up we were unable to get back on the metro and therefore had to walk back to the hotel. That took fourty five minutes. There is not a tone to do on Bastille Day and not a ton is open so we took it as a slow day to relax and recuperate. I worked on my blogs all day and my photos with Susie is rapidly becoming one of my favorite people! We had a blast laying in bed and chatting while we worked on our laptops. It sounds lame I know hanging out in a not awesome hotel to blog and such but when you are on you fourth city in under two weeks it takes it out of you! For dinner we wandered around the city and found a place to get fabulous baguette sandwiches and pastries. I bought some pastries to eat and man were they good! After our little cafĂ© therapy we headed back to the crowds and boy was it a mad house! We wanted to watch the fireworks off the Eiffel tower. The Word on the street was that is one of the coolest things ever. We will see I thought to myself….the French are so pompous, I bet American fireworks displays are way better. Well I was horribly wrong….but first there was music. A concert right in front of the tower…sweet we thought this could turn out to be a great night. Well It is this man named Jimmy Hollaway. I have no clue who he is but people were going mad for him. I thought his music kind of sucked but he did do some American covers like born to be wild. That was fun to hear in the middle of Paris in front t of the Eiffel Tower. He took forever I swear I wanted to rip my ears off…so annoying. When he finally quit it got dark and we waited in silent anticipation for what seemed like forever. They did some general announcements and one of them was that there were over a Million People there that night. A MILLION!!!! Can you believe that? That is madness. I can now say that I know what a million people feel like smashed against your body. Gross. The Fireworks show was not just a fireworks show it was a light show on the Eiffel Tower as well as Fireworks with really great music to accompany it. I can’t even tell you how cool it was. I loved it. They blew anything I have ever seen right out of the water. The Eiffel tower being taken over by hippie flowers, it going completely black and then being sketched in white from bottom to top. Painting it red. The flag on it, and even the famous Painting of Victory leading the people by Eugene Delacroix. It was seriously amazing! I loved it! I wish you could see how great it was…it was like forty five minutes of fireworks. No lie. You should YouTube it because the videos I got were not that great. After the fireworks were over it didn’t matter what way you wanted to go, the crowd was in control now. It was ridiculous getting the group back to the hotel in one piece. We clung to each other for dear life. At one point some crazy lady with a stroller was continuously ramming my ankles with her stroller with her sleeping child in it. I was so annoyed; it is not my freaking fault that everyone stopped. I can barely even hold myself steady lady!!! Which brings me to my next query what posses you to bring your children to something that lasts all night and is capped off with a large crowd….oh say a MILLLION people and think that it is going to be no problem to push your little stroller with your children in tow to safety….HELLO! oh sorry….BON JOUR! Sheesh! Well we finally made it back and I am hitting ht sack….I swear we get up earlier and earlier every day!

1 comment: