Friday, August 7, 2009

London Day Eight

SO this morning I decide I need to take a shower, it has been a couple days and I really need one…however the idea becomes a joke fairly quickly as the hot water does not seem to be working. In order to compensate I am using the Faucet water which is warm and literally splashing myself clean. Yes. I sat naked on the tub floor and splashed myself and dunked my head. This makes for a nasty tangley situation and needless to say I was pissed because it took forever to get ready…not that I am saying I can be one of those girls who does it in like 30 minutes anyway but seriously this was absurd. I felt like I was moving in Slow Motion. So thus once again I ran to the train…I feel like I am always running late, London is perhaps a bit too much like home in that way. So we took the many metros and trains to Salisbury. So of course it is freezing and we decide that we need hot chocolate. A valid request. Darrin comes in and says we have time to get it. So we get our drinks and walk out to meet everyone and they are all gone. We were definitely left at the train station. Ha ha it was funny we saw the last glimpse of what we thought was our group walking around a corner so we followed the hopeful trail and like five minutes later and a couple blind turns we found them! So of course being the professional tourists that we are we took a picture.

First on the menu was the Wilton House. Wilton house is home to the Duke of Pemberly I think. It is very pretty and has been well preserved. There are many different styles that have been put into the house as it has passed from generation to generation. The house was not huge like Versailles. It was a really great the gardens were my favorite part though I must say. I love all the gardens that go along with these huge houses. The current Duke of Pemberly is actually single and thirty years old….as our tour guide said He is quite dishy. He is engaged though to a 23 year old Scottish blonde. Lame pretty people with big houses. Anyway the gardens are pretty and are more of a natural looking surrounding and less like the flowers and shrubbery of French gardens. We finalized our tour by having pastries and lemonade only to find out that there is a giant play park outside with a teeter totter and tramps, and clubhouses, and bridges…it was so much fun. Kylee, Amanda, Julia, Michelle and I played and goofed off like we were twelve again…it was nice. Sometimes when you are 23 you just like to act like you are 7 and its perfectly acceptable don’t you know?

So we get back on a bus and there is this lady who is so mean there are like thirty people crammed on this bus and she is taking up two seats with her legs and refusing to use just one. Then she complains about it in her thick what I can only imagine to be the W.T. version of a British accent and I swear it took everything in me not to slap her across the face. Plus she had ugly hair.

Anyway we finally get to Salisbury Cathedral and there is the cutest little streets and shops with cafes and a burger king which is not that cute but still it was there and it was American and sometimes it is nice to see little bit of home. So we all lay on the grass outside the cathedral and enjoy the beautiful view. It is so fun, some of my favorite things I have done on this study abroad have been when I am just sitting and soaking in where I am and just feeling the surroundings. It makes you savor the moment more and it becomes your little piece that you will always remember. So it was time for our tour so we met our tour guide and he talked about the interesting and unique things about Salisbury cathedral. One of which is you can see King Henry the 8ths initials monogrammed on the Organ Screen as well as Anne Boleyns and Jane Seymours and Katherine of Aragon. I mean really that is when you know you ware getting ridiculous. When you have three wives initials in the completion of church because you re going through it so fast. Whatev. We got o go up to the very highest point you are allowed which is the base of the Spire and let me tell you it was freaky. You could see through the 2” think floor boards to the hundred foot drop below,,,,yikes! I did not love that. Well after that we were done and decided we needed food and everything was closed except you guessed it…Burger King…LAME. We were so disappointed but we made it work. I just felt sick after. Whatever.

Next on the list was Stone Henge. I was really excited to do this I mean I know it is just a bunch of rocks in the middle of some fields but it is still cool. So we went. We took taxis there and anytime anyone in our group sits still we all fall asleep because we are so exhausted. I swear we are either Wired or dead…that’s it nothing in the middle. We made it out there and it was really cool. We took alien pictures and Stone Henge Pictures and It was so much fun. It is really neat to learn about how strange they are and how little we do not know about them. It is intriguing and I loved it. Something we will have to ask in heaven probably. Well they look really good in person and some of the stones have a cooling effect to the touch and some are warm to the touch..weird. Anyway we henged it up and then took off back to the city which was like another two hours.

We arrived back in the city and stopped at the ever popular Tesco. This is like a mini supermarket. It is so awesome not to mention they make the best blueberry muffins…DELICIOUS! We came back had dinner and are going to bed…doesn’t seem to matter how we start the day we always finish it in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment