Sunday, August 9, 2009

London Day Twelve

Today I got up and showered in hot water. I almost forgot what that was like. Sweet steamy goodness. I got ready in what I thought was good time and found out later that I was running late and literally ran across South Kensington to make it to the tube station to meet our group. We went through the hassle of changing trains and then say for two hours. We made it to Chesterfield. What’s in Chesterfield you ask? Haddon Hall and Chatsworth. We took a bus driven by a man who had blue tinted glass in his spectacles. It was distracting I did not listen to a thing he said because I could not stop staring at his glasses. He was Neat. To keep ourselves awake Kylee and I played would you rather for like the entire day. Let me tell you, when you are tired and bored….that game is the funniest thing ever. We came up with some pretty interesting things. Oh yeah! Kylee also seems to think its funny to make fun of me because I apparently say Oh Yeah with a bit of a Minnesota ish accent and do it more frequently when I am trying to stay awake in something boring. Like a tour. Stupid observant people. My favorite Kylee Quote today was when I said how are you doing and she replied with: mmmmmmhhhhaaaawwwuh. Yes no nonsense noise with a moaning flavor. She is lovely and single by the way! Ha ha. Haddon hall was very interesting it is probably the oldest house I have been in thus far. It is originating from the 1300’s. We were able to see a lot of the original furniture and architecture. And I learned that even if it has been 700 years since you had a floor that everyone pooped and peed on it still stink 700 years later. So clean your messes up immediately or your house will forever stink. We saw where Princess Buttercup was announced by Humperdinck….because Princess Bride was filmed there. That is neat. They have a set of stairs that were cut out of one tree trunk and root and are still in circular form. It was so cool. The grounds were really pretty and the best part was by far the glass in the windows. It was all in the shape of diamonds and had a wave to the whole window. Windows and Windows of it were wavy and some were a slight yellow or gold color. It was really pretty and gave a gorgeous little detailing to the dark Tudor Style Halls.

We clambered back on the bus after taking a few ANTM shots. We took off for the country. Chatsworth here we come. We pulled up and I must say it is much bigger than I thought it was. It is huge really. We started out in the gardens exploring the trails and doing the sweet a maze. That was not as good as the one at Blenheim. Then we walked aback along the a serpentine hedge and to the top of a grotto look out . the property is quite beautiful. We walked over the forever long fountain that goes down an entire hill and over to the sensory garden. Very pretty. Lots of green leafy things. We decided to have lunch in the restaurant and I had a fabulous lemon custard desert with berries on top…..foodgasmic for sure.

We toured the house and learned all about the previous dukes that had owned and operated it. Including the famous one that the movie the Duchess is based off of. Very cool. The current Duke and Duchess are working hard at renovating the parts of it that are in need of repair and it will soon be the shining palace it once was. We called it a day around 5 and headed back on the train..The train is quickly becoming our favorite place to sleep. Hence the photo of my favorite Kylee making my favorite face!

No comments:

Post a Comment